Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Decoupage Trays and Coasters

There are two things I have been wanting for a while:  to try decoupaging and a tray for my makeup and brushes in the bathroom.  Tonight I decided to decoupage a tray for the bathroom and knock out two birds with one stone.  I spent about 30 minutes in Michaels after work trying to pick what paper I wanted to use and I fell in love with this kitchen appliance paper so I decided to make a little serving tray too!  As you will see in the pictures, my first attempt at decoupaging was far from perfect but I had fun and over time I am sure I will be able to refine my skill!  Enjoy!

Supplies
-Two unfinished wooden trays
-Two sheets of each print of scrapbook paper
-Mod Podge (my new favorite thing!)
-Ribbon
-Acrylic Paint
-Patience and Good Music

I found unfinished wooden trays at Michaels that were on sale for $3.99 each.  I had to sand down some of the edges and the handles to make them smooth for painting but the price was good so a little extra work is no big deal!  Once I had picked out my papers, I selected coordinating acrylic paints.  My last stop in the store was the ribbon isle to get some extra decoration.  Then I hurried home to paint and decoupage my trays!

Three coats of paint and the trays were ready to go

The bathroom tray!

The kitchen tray...I had a lot of bumps in this one but its a learning process 




I redid some holiday coasters I never cared for to make matching ones for the kitchen

1 comment:

  1. really cute Kristyn! Let me know how the coasters hold up! I want them to make them! =)

    ReplyDelete