Monday, March 26, 2012

Laundry Softening Crystals

On a trip to NY last summer, my sister turned my on to Purex Fabric Softening Crystals.  The only thing I didn't like about them was that the high cost.  For a few months I bought them anyway because I liked that the crystals didn't leave a waxy residue on my jeans like liquid softener and dryer sheets do. 

While munching on some captain crunch one morning the ingredients list on the the bottle caught my eye.  The main ingredients were sugar, clay, and coloring.  I did some research and found out that coarse sea salt has the same softening abilities as sucrose (aka table sugar).  So I made my own little recipe...I thought I was original until I saw a post for it on Pinterest a few days later. 


All I used was Coarse Sea Salt and Essential Oils (from the soap making section in Michaels)



I used one 17.6 ounce canister of coarse sea salt and roughly 1 tsp. of either clean linen or lavender essential oils. 

I blended the salt and oil in my Ninja to get it all well mixed and to grind the salt down a little more to make it easier to dissolve. 
Once it was well blended, I stored it in an air tight container so that the oils would not evaporate.

I add one table spoon of this to my laundry and love the results!

No comments:

Post a Comment